Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Interview with Kasie West, Author of Pivot Point

As you may (or may not) know, we've started a new Book of the Month (BotM) feature. For each BotM, Kenya and I will both read the selected book and then post a joint review/argument/discussion.

Our January BotM is Pivot Point, by Kasie West, which is an amazing and original young adult science fiction novel. I read Pivot Point early in the month and, like the fangirl I am, emailed Kasie to request an interview. She agreed—because she rocks! I had a lot of fun coming up with questions, and I just love her answers.

The interview is below, and check back soon for our BotM review.


Pivot Point
by Kasie West
Publication: February 12, 2013

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.


Alicia: If you could be "psychologically advanced," like many of the characters in Pivot Point, which ability would you choose? And why?

Kasie: As you might imagine (considering the book I wrote) I get this question a lot. And every time I want something different depending on what's happening in my life at the time. Ha. So today, since I just got back from the gym, and going to the gym is so much work, I'd love the ability to be able to make myself stronger without having to work out--increase my metabolism, send increased blood flow to my muscles. It's all mind power. Now, if I just think hard enough maybe I can do that without a mental power. I'll let you know if it works.

Alicia: What about a non-mental super power—what would you choose? And why?

Kasie: Flying for sure. I really really want to be able to fly. Why can't I fly?

Alicia: Let's say you live in a secret compound with a bunch of people who have mental abilities—much like the Compound in Pivot Point. What would you do for fun?

Kasie: Ha. I like this question. I'd mess with people's minds, of course. :) No, I think we'd have to have lots of ability v ability competitions. Like with Telekinetics--who could hold the most objects off the ground for the longest.

Alicia: With so many books these days featuring physical superpowers, what inspired you to focus on mental powers?

Kasie: I do love physical superpowers too. But to me, mental powers almost seem attainable. Like they are just one step away from being a reality. If we can figure out how to use our brain more effectively, wouldn't that be the next step? I love that thought. I love supernatural that makes you look around and wonder if it's already happening around you.

Alicia: What's your favorite thing about being a writer?

Kasie: I have four kids so I love that this is a career I can do from home. But I love love love creating a person on paper. I love exploring and learning about that person and telling their story. It is so fun for me.

Alicia: Do you have any new writing projects or upcoming books you want to tell us about?

Kasie: In July my contemporary THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US comes out. I love this story so much and hope others will as well. Then of course, the sequel to Pivot Point will be out next February and another contemporary in the summer of 2014. These books are keeping me pretty busy, but I always like to be writing something new. So yes, I have a few other projects that are in their very early stages.

Lightning round!
Favorite movie? Pitch Perfect
Favorite TV show? American Idol
Favorite food? Mexican
Favorite animal? Kitten
Favorite color? Blue
Favorite book? GAH! That's an unfair question. There are too many. :)
Print or ebook? Print. (But I'm not an ebook hater)


Website
Twitter

I love to write--too much. It's a sickness really. My debut novel, PIVOT POINT, will be published by HarperTeen Feb. 12, 2013. (Followed by its sequel a year later.)

THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, my contemporary YA novel, will be published in the Fall of 2013 (HarperTeen).

My agent is the talented, funny, and sometimes crazy, Michelle Wolfson.


No comments:

Post a Comment