Saturday, September 21, 2013

Top 5 Classic YA Romances


Author Lisa Cresswell is here to give us her Top Five Classic YA Romances, and I must say the list is definetly filled with some of my favorites. However, before you check out her list, get a good look at her new novel.




SUMMARY:
Hush Puppy is the story of Corrine Lamb, a seventeen year old black girl, and Jamie Armstrong, a poor white boy, living in a backwater North Carolina town. Intelligent Corrine, abandoned by her mother, and artsy Jamie, forced to play football by a redneck father, both dream of leaving their podunk town and never looking back.

Their shared love of literature and a dream of a better life brings them together and a romance blossoms between them in a secret place of their own in the steamy North Carolina woods. When Jamie is involved in the accidental death of a white girl, he's terrified of his abusive father. Corrine takes the blame to protect Jaime, with dire consequences for herself and her dreams of the future. Her life in danger, Corrine's left wondering if Jamie ever cared about her at all.

The events surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin underscore how prevalent fear and hate still is in our country. Sadly, many of the themes explored in Hush Puppy are extremely relevant to today's youth. It's my hope that Hush Puppy is a story not only about poverty and race, but about hope, friendship, and the power of love.


Lisa's Top Five Classic YA Romances

I have to admit, when Kenya asked me to name my five top YA romances, I did a bit of an uh-oh.  While I love romantic elements in books, I haven’t read any true romance novels in awhile. So, here are five (not necessarily romance) novels with romances that I loved reading.


I think all of  these books appeal to me because they’re about first love and all the crazy, mixed up feelings that come with that. They aren’t muddied up with baggage; well, except for maybe The Hunger Games.  For the most part, they’re full on, head over heels, I’ll die without you-type love stories. I guess I like it complicated and messy.


1. Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd




2. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare




3. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater




4. Anne of Green Gables series  by L.M. Montgomery



5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins




Author Bio


Lisa T. Cresswell is a professional archaeologist who works in Idaho and dabbles frequently in young adult literature. Originally from North Carolina, her stories are often inspired by memories of growing up there. 

1 comment:

  1. Great book selection! I love em' all! :') Romeo and Juliet is a classic<3

    ReplyDelete